Thursday, June 14, 2007

Living within my means

Hello my name is Jennifer and I love my credit and debit cards and checks. But as of yesterday, they are no longer in my possesion. I didn't shred them, didn't throw them out, didn't give them away. At 12:36 PM the kindly banker, put my safety deposit box down and before I could run from the vault screaming, NO, NO, NO, YOU CAN'T HAVE THEM!!!, I shoved the beloveded cards in the box and stepped from the vault. Do you still hear me sobbing? Okay, so I wasn't sobbing, but it was close. They had to go away. While yes technically I still have access to them if needed, the bank is 40 minutes from my house and has traditional banker hours, so it's only open while I'm at work and since I just can't leave work willy nilly, it's a nice compromise.

I had my first test of living with out the easy access yesterday. I planned my expenses (gas and dog food) for the day. I took out the appropriate amount of cash from the bank and off I went. $10 in gas, paid for in Cash, so far so good right? Next stop, pet store, the heathens need their food, without it they get annoying. Cash in hand, you bet, I planned for it didn't I. $51.06 Please, the lovely cashier says, I kinda look at her funny, that can't be right, the last time I bought doggie food it was only $48 and some change. $50 should of been plenty. No problem I think, I'll just pay cash for the additional $1.06 on the debit card. Ummmm, CRAP, I DON'T HAVE A DEBIT CARD ANYMORE, remember, I just came from the bank where the kindly banker LOCKED IT AWAY in the vault. Okay, I say, could you give me a couple of minutes, I'll go search my car for loose change. 5 minutes later I have an additional 98 cents. Okay, maybe they have a penny thing at the register. Remeber I have heathens at home requiring food, I can't leave the store without it! Now even more embarrasing is that apparently the cashier has shared my predicament with another customer, so as I am scrounging and praying for those last few pennies, I hear, "Don't worry about it honey, I'll cover you." Oh my, a very nice samaritan. Instantly I am a lobster, I stammer, "I only need to find one more dime and I should be good." How embarrasing, I say Thank you about a million times and run from the store where I will never return.

I can hear you all saying, don't you work at a bank, can't you just get more money from the bank. Well yes, I do work at a bank, 3 afternoons a week, but see you have to have money in the account to actually withdraw money, they don't just give it to me because I ask for it. My bank account there is only for my weekly money. Let me tell you about my weekly money.

Every Friday, assuming I remember to transfer the money in, I receive $45 in that account. That $45 is broken into $15 gas, $25 Food, $5 fun or projects. Pop all your eyes back into your heads, what you read is correct. That's why I love my credit cards. No more, I will finish all my projects that I currenlty have languishing throughout my house. That will be my entertainment. I know, I know, you have more questions, but really I am now depressed after seeing it in writing again. So, until later.

No comments: